Category Archives: Projects

Gluing the Glockenspiel Box

Now that the glockenspiel plays a number of Christmas carols, it’s time to put it in a box.

After a pile of routing I’m now nailing and gluing the Robotic Glockenspiel box together.  Since this is a first prototype (the flat chime harp is too large to be practical), I’ve made the box sides from 3/4″ x 6″ “white wood” (fir or pine) instead of hardwoods, and made no attempt to conceal the nails.

Continue reading Gluing the Glockenspiel Box

Robotic Glockenspiel Now Plays 17 Carols

In my previous post, the robotic glockenspiel played its first tune. This post is an update on transcribing more tunes.

I’ve been busily transcribing public domain Christmas carols from “The Oxford Book of Carols” and other sources of public domain carols, so the glockenspiel has more material to play. All the carols are checked into the SD folder of the Robotic Glockenspiel Git repository, and are part of that open source project.

In other news, I bought this edge guide for my router, so now I can cut the grooves that will hold the base of the glockenspiel.  Next I need to learn how to make rabbet joints, so I can put the glockenspiel box together.

My next post is about crafting the cabinet for the glockenspiel.

A Router is a Most Wonderful Power Tool

In my previous post I pointed to my Open Source code for the project. In this post, I describe the mounting of the solenoids to the frame.

The conundrum of the project has been how to mount the solenoids to the glockenspiel. If I were a metalworker, I’d probably tap the solenoid holes and fasten them with 2mm screws into a metal strip. My 2017 future self says to design a 3D printable holder. Not knowing how to tap such tiny holes and not (yet) knowing how to design 3d printed parts, I’ve been thinking and thinking about how to mount the solenoids to wood.

Continue reading A Router is a Most Wonderful Power Tool

Robotic Glockenspiel and Arduino Midi File Reader Library on Github

In my previous post I pointed to some sources of information about how to read Midi music files. I’ve now Open Sourced my working code.

I’m a total newbie at Git, but even so I’ve managed to create repositories for the Robotic Glockenspiel and the Arduino Midi File Reader library it uses.  See My GitHub  repositories for the current state of things.

Continue reading Robotic Glockenspiel and Arduino Midi File Reader Library on Github

Successfully Reading a Midi File

In my previous post I covered the Arduino-based circuit I built to strike the chimes. I’ve also, with a little effort, gotten the Sparkfun MicroSD shield to work with the Arduino Mega 2560, so I’m now in the thick of writing the software to read music files for the Robotic Glockenspiel.

Not happy with the Arduino Midi libraries I’ve seen (they don’t seem very file-oriented), I’ve written the bones of what will become a Midi file-reading library. This library will enable an Arduino Sketch to read events from a Midi file, one by one, so that it can play the notes with the proper timing.

Continue reading Successfully Reading a Midi File

Cutting and Tuning Robotic Glockenspiel Chimes

After a few weeks of experimentation, I think I can now write sensible notes on how to cut and tune the chimes for a glockenspiel (metal xylophone) out of metal conduit. This is the first step of my Robotic Glockenspiel project, which I hope to end with a network-connected, Arduino-controlled set of chimes that can play Christmas carols.

Continue reading Cutting and Tuning Robotic Glockenspiel Chimes