It’s all in the box (except the buttons)

In my previous post, I started putting the glockenspiel case together. Now I’ve bolted the glockenspiel harp and circuit boards into the base of the box, and temporarily mounted the handles and buttons. I still need to wire up the buttons.

assembled glockenspiel
assembled glockenspiel

In other news, I’ve tried out various ways of damping the initial, loud “clank” when a solenoid strikes a chime.  A piece of scotch tape on the top of the solenoid had no effect at all; a dab of silicone (which someone else suggested) can make just the right sound, but I’m a little puzzled about how to repeatably put just the right amount of silicone on each solenoid.

A daub of silicone on a solenoid. The silicone is about 2x as deep as it needs to be.
A daub of silicone on a solenoid. The silicone is about 2x as deep as it needs to be.

In my next post I reflect on how Design Thinking could have improved the project.