Tag Archives: Maker

If at first you don’t succeed…

It was all going so well.

In an earlier post I tuned the chimes. In this post, I find one way not to make a frame for those chimes.

I created the frame for the glockenspiel, with a square frame on the outside so that I could mark the inner part of the frame with 1″ lines, one per chime.

Marking the lines for the chimes
Marking the lines for the chimes

I then aligned each chime in turn with the lines and with the centerline of the frame – the place where the solenoid will strike the chime.

Aligning each pipe with the center and edges
Aligning each pipe with the center and edges

I then drilled a pair of shallow marker holes for each aligned pipe. I could have instead marked the holes by slipping a thin pencil through the chime holes – but I didn’t have such a pencil, so the handy hand drill sufficed.

Drilling shallow marker holes
Drilling shallow marker holes

I then drilled smaller holes centered in the marker holes, and glued a short dowel in each hole.

Then I made the big mistake: I unscrewed the frame so that I could glue it back together – replacing the screws with glue.

Gluing the frame - after drilling the peg holes
Gluing the frame – after drilling the peg holes

Although I was careful to glue the frame pieces along marker lines I’d made when it had been screwed together, the long sides of the frame slipped enough that the dowels no longer aligned with the holes in the chimes.

You can see in the photo below that, for example, the “D” chime hole is nearly 1/4″ away from the peg above it, that it should have been able to rest on. This offset is true for almost all the chimes, indicating that the long parts of the frame shifted between the time I drilled the dowel holes and the time I tried to drop the chimes onto the dowels in those holes.

The holes don't line up
The holes don’t line up

So, my plan now is to make another frame, and to glue the frame together before I mark and drill the dowel holes (duh) that the chimes will fit over. If at first you don’t succeed, find the root cause of the problem and correct it :-)

My next post has the details of the working frame for the chimes.

Cutting and Tuning Robotic Glockenspiel chimes

Cutting Glockenspiel pipes from 1/2" EMT Conduit
Cutting Glockenspiel pipes from 1/2″ EMT Conduit

After a few weeks of experimentation, I think I can now write sensible notes on how to cut and tune the chimes for a glockenspiel (metal xylophone) out of metal conduit. This is the first step of my Robotic Glockenspiel project, which I hope to end with a network-connected, Arduino-controlled set of chimes that can play Christmas carols.

Continue reading Cutting and Tuning Robotic Glockenspiel chimes