In my previous post I covered the Arduino-based circuit I built to strike the chimes. I’ve also, with a little effort, gotten the Sparkfun MicroSD shield to work with the Arduino Mega 2560, so I’m now in the thick of writing the software to read music files for the Robotic Glockenspiel.
Not happy with the Arduino Midi libraries I’ve seen (they don’t seem very file-oriented), I’ve written the bones of what will become a Midi file-reading library. This library will enable an Arduino Sketch to read events from a Midi file, one by one, so that it can play the notes with the proper timing.
Continue reading Successfully Reading a Midi File
Earlier, I described how to build a frame for the glockenspiel. In this post, I cover the circuit that will strike each chime.
I’ve successfully tested the glockenspiel control circuit. It’s an Arduino Mega 2560, a Sparkfun Wifi Shield, and 19 repetitions of a simple solenoid control circuit.
Continue reading DIY Glockenspiel: the Circuit
When I described my robotic glockenspiel project, a co-worker pointed me to the musical performances of Pat Metheny, which led me to LEMUR (League of Electronic Musical Robots), which made his instruments.
Check out the videos on LEMUR’s site (scroll down to the thumbnails). Some of them remind me of early 20th-century experimental music (especially the one with the siren). Love it!
In my previous post, I crashed and burned with a glockenspiel frame that slipped while gluing. This post covers the version two, working frame.
Ok, it’s not robotic yet, but I now have a manually-playable, octave-and-a-fourth glockenspiel made from 1/2″ EMT conduit.
Continue reading My DIY Glockenspiel Works!
In an earlier post I tuned the chimes. In this post, I find one way not to make a frame for those chimes.
I created the frame for the glockenspiel, with a square frame on the outside so that I could mark the inner part of the frame with 1″ lines, one per chime.
Continue reading If at First You Don’t Succeed…
After a few weeks of experimentation, I think I can now write sensible notes on how to cut and tune the chimes for a glockenspiel (metal xylophone) out of metal conduit. This is the first step of my Robotic Glockenspiel project, which I hope to end with a network-connected, Arduino-controlled set of chimes that can play Christmas carols.
Continue reading Cutting and Tuning Robotic Glockenspiel Chimes