The Robotic Glockenspiel Plays “Somerset Wassail”

Yup, it plays the Somerset Wassail!

It still needs a set of pushbutton controls and a wooden case, but it’s finished enough to play tunes.

Robotic Glockenspiel so far. No case or controls yet
Robotic Glockenspiel so far. No case or controls yet

Here’s the story since my previous post:

Using the jig I made, I routed out the vertical slots for the solenoids:

Using the jig to route the vertical slots
Using the jig to route the vertical slots

Then (badly) routed the horizontal slots. the vertical slots keep the solenoids from twisting or falling over; the horizontal slots keep them from slipping down.

Here’s a test, putting one solenoid in its place and holding it with a cable tie.

horizontal supports routed out
horizontal supports routed out

I then adjusted the height of the solenoid bar so that the solenoids would have room to hit the chimes.  I tested the height and position (left-right/top-bottom) with a ruler so that the solenoids would hit the centers of the chimes.

Measuring the position of a solenoid
Measuring the position of a solenoid

I then soldered a length of speaker wire to each solenoid (with a heat-shrink cover over the solder joint)…

Speaker wire soldered to each solenoid
Speaker wire soldered to each solenoid

…then crimped on a Molex connector on the circuit end so that I could plug it into the breadboard.

Crimping on the Molex connectors
Crimping on the Molex connectors

Here’s what the chime looked like in mid-construction:

Adding the solenoids
Adding the solenoids

Once I’d added all the solenoids, I placed the chimes on the board and voila! It played Somerset Wassail.

In my next post, I’ll use the Open Source Aria Maestosa to write up a few more public-domain carols.